Saturday, April 3, 2010

what i've learned after 1000 tweets.

I joined Twitter on July 22nd, 2009.

My first tweet was something about a World of Warcraft movie.

The first "person" I followed was the Globe and Mail.

The first day I started taking Twitter seriously --
was sometime in January of this year.

And now, in less than four months, I've reached tweet number 1000. And here I am, marking the occasion with a blog post.

 A year ago, if you would have asked me what I thought about tweeting and blogging and what the relevance of social media was, I probably would have said something along the lines of 'sitting at the computer for an extended period is a soul-sucking waste of time.'

My, my. How things change.

To the (unenlightened) me of one year ago, Twitter was a pointless website for people to tell other people, anywhere in the world, that they were eating a ham sandwich. What kind of relevant information could possibly be shared within 140 characters? Who takes this nonsense seriously? And WTF is a hashtag?!

To the me of today, of this very second, Twitter is the most efficient communication medium the internet has to offer, and it's transforming the world into an even closer-knit global community. Twitter has harnessed the efficiency of the internet, concentrated and simplified it, and it has revolutionized the way we communicate and share information.

And while it's still in it's infancy, the future prospects for Twitter are nothing short of astonishing.

And while my relationship with Twitter is also still very young, and even though my understanding of how Twitter works is only a skim off the surface, I've cultivated a deep respect for it and for social media as a whole. I've learned to embrace something I wouldn't have previously given the time of day, and I've learned pretty awesome things about myself. Like, the fact that people and businesses are using social media as a means of news and marketing absolutely fascinates me. It makes me feel like I'm participating in a revolution, a shift; the future of information sharing and branding and marketing and Oh. My. Goodness.

I am so incredibly glad to have finally jumped aboard the Twitter wagon.

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd admit that it makes me happy when someone new starts following me.

No comments:

Post a Comment